Monday, January 9, 2012

the long and winding road

I am at a career crossroads.  It was never my long-term career goal to work on an inpatient nursing unit.  As a new graduate nurse, other specialties ask for usually a minimum of one year's experience in clinical practice.  Medical-surgical floor nursing is a common source of this experience.

I have been a nurse for a year now, and I am looking to find my long-term career in nursing.  I feel like this year has been filled with all kinds of learning for me.  I have truly learned how to be a nurse.  I don't think I could have gotten the amount and variety of experiences on any other type of unit.  I have an absurd level of time management when I want to, and know a lot about a lot of different types of patients.

Surgery and peri-procedure nursing is where I want to go next.  I am not completely sure that I will stay there forever, but I was always interested in that in school, and it is my current goal to get into those departments.

I have had a few frustrating moments.  Like not being enrolled into ACLS.  I understand not having it paid for by the hospital, since it isn't "necessary" for my specific job role, but I am willing to pay for it.  I just want to be given the opportunity to take it.  I want to do what I can to increase my competence.

I have enjoyed this past year at work.  It's stressful and draining, but I still loved it.


--
"I've seen that road before, it always leads me here"

No comments:

Post a Comment